Wednesday 16 May 2012

Potato's Grubs and Hail stones

Grubs from the ground.


Do any of you know what this grub is? I think its called a The garden chafer is the larval stage of the May Bug. They eat roots such as potatoes. If you find them as you are digging they need to be destroyed. If you like the squashing method make sure that you keep your eyes away as they squirt everywhere. I found this one in the ground, judging by its size I would say that this one is approx 3-4 years old and would  probably pupate this autumn.


John has been so busy this last few days. As you can see from this picture he has moved all the fruit trees from our old patch. So the first one in the bottom left is the blackcurrant then more gooseberries to the right of those are the blackberry canes. the wire mesh at  the top left is the rhubarb which is being attacked by rabbits at the moment. at the top centre of the picture John has erected some canes for runner beans. there are normally boards creating an isle but we planted some potatoes today so we have borrowed them but I'll come to that in a bit.


Here is John going for our 4th row of potatoes. I am so glad that we changed plot. This soil has been worked so well that it is like digging on a beach. look how straight we got the rows this time (compare original plot here). How do you plant your potato rows? We dig a trench, add some well rotted manure. Plant the Potatoes then use a rake to steeple the soil back over the potatoes. I had to leave John at this point but I went back later.




So I got back to the allotment. Got the tools out and down came the hail. So most of the hour I had spare  was spent in the shed with a nice warm coffee. This picture was taken from the wooden shed. We moved it from the old plot on Sunday. The whole family got involved which is the first time everyone has got down there. I don't know why I went in that one the plastic shed has a lovely roof light. loads of deck chairs and the rest of the coffee but the windows are frosted so I would not have had a good view of the hail stones.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your comments here